September 23, 2015To the greatest catcher of all time, in my opinion. Some of you young whippersnappers won`t remember Yog but I sure do. Below are some of his famous quotes:
1. When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
2. You can observe a lot by just watching.
3. It ainâ€™t over till itâ€™s over
4. Itâ€™s like dÃ©jÃ vu all over again.
5. No one goes there nowadays, itâ€™s too crowded.
6. Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
7. A nickel ainâ€™t worth a dime anymore.
8. Always go to other peopleâ€™s funerals, otherwise they wonâ€™t come to yours.
9. We made too many wrong mistakes.
10. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.
11. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because Iâ€™m not hungry enough to eat six.
12. You wouldnâ€™t have won if weâ€™d beaten you.
13. I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.
14. Never answer an anonymous letter.
15. Slump? I ainâ€™t in no slumpâ€¦ I just ainâ€™t hitting.
16. How can you think and hit at the same time?
17. The future ainâ€™t what it used to be.
18. I tell the kids, somebodyâ€™s gotta win, somebodyâ€™s gotta lose. Just donâ€™t fight about it. Just try to get better.
19. It gets late early out here.
20. If the people donâ€™t want to come out to the ballpark, nobodyâ€™s going to stop them.
21. We have deep depth.
22. Pair up in threes.
23. Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.
24. Youâ€™ve got to be very careful if you donâ€™t know where you are going, because you might not get there.
25. All pitchers are liars or crybabies.
26. Even Napoleon had his Watergate.
27. Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.
28. He hits from both sides of the plate. Heâ€™s amphibious.
29. It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much.
30. I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won twenty-five games. What I donâ€™t understand is how he lost five.
31. I donâ€™t know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads.
32. Iâ€™m a lucky guy and Iâ€™m happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary.
33. Iâ€™m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.
34. In baseball, you donâ€™t know nothing.
35. I never blame myself when Iâ€™m not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isnâ€™t my fault that Iâ€™m not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
36. I never said most of the things I said.
37. It ainâ€™t the heat, itâ€™s the humility.
38. If you ask me anything I donâ€™t know, Iâ€™m not going to answer.
39. I wish everybody had the drive he (Joe DiMaggio) had. He never did anything wrong on the field. Iâ€™d never seen him dive for a ball, everything was a chest-high catch, and he never walked off the field.
40. So Iâ€™m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face.
41. Take it with a grin of salt.
42. (On the 1973 Mets) We were overwhelming underdogs.
43. The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.
44. Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.
45. Mickey Mantle was a very good golfer, but we werenâ€™t allowed to play golf during the season; only at spring training.
46. You donâ€™t have to swing hard to hit a home run. If you got the timing, itâ€™ll go.
47. Iâ€™m lucky. Usually youâ€™re dead to get your own museum, but Iâ€™m still alive to see mine.
48. If I didnâ€™t make it in baseball, I wonâ€™t have made it workinâ€™. I didnâ€™t like to work.
49. If the world were perfect, it wouldnâ€™t be.
50. A lot of guys go, â€˜Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.â€™ I tell â€™em, â€˜I donâ€™t know any.â€™ They want me to make one up. I donâ€™t make â€™em up. I donâ€™t even know when I say it. Theyâ€™re the truth. And it is the truth. I donâ€™t know.
Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame catcher and New York Yankees legend, passed away on September 22, 2015. He was 90 years old.